Monday, July 20, 2009

What to you give the guy that has everything for his 40th?

Thank goodness for the idea of a sucker arrangement by a Cricut message board member, CardmkrLeslie, I decided to make one for a friend for his 40th birthday. I used 40 Blowpops in this arrangement. I really like how it turned out.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Wedding Cards

I was speaking to a friend Thursday morning and she asked if I would mind making a wedding card for her as she was going to a wedding Saturday and wanted something special. I designed these two cards for her.

This is the card she picked. I made this with the Flower and Flouish Stamp by Inkadinkado. I also used the Swiss Dots folder for the Cuttlebug. The background paper is Silver Wedding by Masterpiece Studio.

This is the other card I designed. I used the D'vine Swirl for the Cuttlebug and the Flower and Flourish Inkadinkado stamp.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Converting wood mounted stamps to cling mount stamps

I am in the process of converting my woodmounted rubber stamps to cling mounted stamps to be used with acrylic blocks. It will save me a ton of storage space. This picture shows how I wast storing my stamps. There are only a few sets left in this cabinet.

I found this CD/DVD holder at Goodwill. It cost me $12. I am storing the newly converted stamps in CD jewels/cases. I already stored my regular clear acrylic stamps this way. The first two shelves are those acrylic sets.

This picture is just an example of how much space I am saving on seven Stampin Up wood mounted sets. I converted these and am storing them in six CD cases. You can sort your stamps any way you see fit. I like to store mine in the sets they came with.

I am going to show you how I converted this stamp set from this:

To this:

Please note: I do not guarantee you will have the same results I did in this sample, nor can I be held liable for any mishaps you or your stamps may encounter. You assume all responsibility should you attempt to unmount your stamps. I highly recommend that you watch some how-to videos on Youtube or visit additional blogs or websites on this subject matter.

You will need empty CD cases, if you plan to store your newly unmounted stamps this way. I got mine from Staples. You will need to remove the black insert and discard it.

I prefer to use the lable that was on the wood stamp. I peel it off the block like this:

Once it is completely removed, adhere it to a scrap of card stock that you can slide into or tape to the inside front of the CD case.

Next is the process of removing the rubber from the foam adhesive. Here is my stamp, before the rubber is removed.

Just work a fingernail or Cricut spatula or painter's spatula between the rubber and the foam mount and begin to peel the rubber. This is typically pretty easy. If you should have a stubborn stamp, you can pop the stamp, rubber side up, into a microwave for about 7 to 10 seconds. This will loosen up the adhesive and make it easier to remove the rubber from the foam.

If it works properly you should be left with the wood block with the foam adhesive left on it.

You can also peel the foam adhesive off the block and recycle the blocks to a purpose that suits you.

Ok, if you should find some of the adhesive stuck to the rubber, just rub it off with your fingers. It should come right off.

You will need some cling foam adhesive like EZ Mount. Now EZ Mount is very expensive so you may want to search the internet/ebay for less expensive options. Cling foam has a stickly adhesive side and a static cling side which allows you to use the rubber stamps with acrylic blocks.

Because of the expense, you may want to lay out the rubber stamps before cutting the cling mount to ensure you only use what you need.

Once you have cut your cling foam, you will adhear the rubber stamps and then trim around each and discard the scraps.

This is the trimmed, final product. Once trimmed, you can remove the paper backing from the cling side of the cling foam and store the stamp in a CD case.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

I've been busy working on some new cards.

This was my submission for my June card swap group. The theme was bling. I made a sympathy card. My "bling" was the rhinestone in the center of the flower.

This is a Father's Day card. I created the pattern paper with alcohol inks and StazOn. Both stamps are Studio G.

This is a card made with Father's Day in mind. I used the Ahoy Matey Stampin Up set for the ship. Inside: Happy Father's Day.